Global Aware Bulletin Nov-Dec 2016
As our minds turn to Advent, and Jesus coming to live in our messy world, we look around us and know we are in as much need of the Light of Christ as we have ever been. I hope this season may be a spur to us to pray and take action to bring God's Light and Hope into the areas of greatest need in our world.
1. Yemen - Almost the entire population of Yemen is currently in need of humanitarian assistance, in a worsening conflict that most of us know nothing about. Hundreds of thousands cannot access food or water, and many children are not in school. Health services are reporting hundreds of injuries or deaths every day, and are struggling to cope with the scale of the crisis.
Pray for an end to the conflict between the government and Houthi rebels, and for aid to be able reach those that need it - millions are currently under blockade.
2. Refugees - thank you to those of you who supported our recent Safe and Welcome event. If you weren't able to come, please pray for the work of all the local agencies involved in welcoming refugees to the city and working with those seeking refuge worldwide (see list attached).
Give thanks that Bristol is a City of Sanctuary
and pray this may be a reality for those asylum seekers that reach us.
3. Haiti - Pray for communities as they attempt to rebuild after Hurricane Matthew. Pray for all the aid agencies that they may act in a unified and decisive way to bring the best results for some of the poorest people in the world.
Pray too that the world may take urgent and significant action on climate change.
1. Start a Divestment Campaign - The moral case for divestment couldn’t be clearer: if it’s wrong to wreck the planet, then it’s wrong to profit from that wreckage. Over 600 institutions globally have divested from fossil fuels thanks to the work of ordinary people stepping up and organising to get their institutions out of fossil fuels. What about your church or workplace?
Starting a divestment campaign is easier than you might think, and can make a huge impact.
to register your interest and find out more about how you can start a divestment campaign in your community.
2. Justice Matters!
Sign the Traidcraft petition
to Teresa May calling on big businesses to be accountable for economic crimes abroad, such as fraud and false accounting, that often cause massive harm to poor communities.
3. Take action on Refugees
- All the local agencies on the list attached need volunteers and funding. can you help? And please ask your church and other groups you are involved in to take action, raise money and pledge support for Bristol City of Sanctuary
4. Make Christmas Fair!
- By buying Fairtrade gifts and food, as well as charity gifts, you can bring happiness to more than just the recipient of the gift. Try Traidcraft
or Ethical Superstore
or come to the Fairtrade and Local Festive Fair in Bristol (see Events).
1. The Bristol800 Magna Carta concert, Sat 12th Nov: 3pm-4.30pm, St James Priory Bristol BS1 3NZ
Tickets: £10/£5 Book here
The second Magna Carta was issued in Bristol on 12 November 1216. This 800th anniversary concert will include choral works from the time of the sealing of the Magna Cartas by Bath’s Chandos Singers in Bristol's oldest building. The programme will be interspersed with historical insights on the relevance of these documents now from Peter Fleming of the University of the West of England. After the concert, from about 16.30, tea, coffee and cake will be for sale.All proceeds from this event will go to Freedom from Torture
2. Fairtrade and Local Festive Market, Thursday 1st December 12-7pm, Create Centre BS1 6XN
Plenty of ethical food and gifts from a myriad of small local businesses. Festive and ethically sourced refreshments at the Create cafe. More details here
Advance Date! Global Aware Conference 'Gender Inequality : Overcoming Poverty through Partnership' will take place at Woodlands Church on Sat 4th Feb 9,30am-2pm. Flyers and booking details to be sent next month.
Thank you for every single prayer and action you take on behalf of the world's poor. Sometimes we may feel our input won't make a difference, but God will multiply all our smallest efforts to change lives; there are 800 of us in this email group alone, so what an impact we can have together!
Wishing you an exciting and awe-filled season as we watch God's plan for the world unfold anew.
Global Aware Team
, Global Aware
, Jenny Foster
, Politics & Social Action
, Politics and Social Action
, Social Action